Laughter is the Best Medicine

Back to Article
Back to Article

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Icey Man saves the day!

Icey Man saves the day!

Icey Man saves the day!

Icey Man saves the day!

Kaylee Handy, Staff Writer

“I can’t find a pencil in my backpack, but I have Nutella” a student was overheard saying in the hallway. The more this year drags on the crazier things get, and things can get pretty crazy. “They need time to face plant” was said by another student. Here are some fun things that have happened this year…

“I had just come back from my trip to Israel,” Mr. Earnest, the tenth-grade teacher explained, “I was excited to see everybody and it was great. I had our little [cabinet of curiosity] in the front of the class, and I thought it would be awesome to leap onto it and say ‘Hey everybody! Good Morning!’ but when I leaped onto it, it exploded from underneath my feet into this disarray of pieces and splinters. I was shocked beyond all reason. I didn’t know what to say. I think I might have forgotten my name for the next two seconds, but it was funny.”

Before desolation.

Mr. Earnest does have a bit of an “explosive” personality and is always so fun to be around. His class has lots of fun and lots of laughs. Now let’s expound on some fun things that happened with the ninth graders. This year in Mrs. Hilmo’s classroom, she had a bit of a “blow-up”. Here is what she has to say, “Tallie Carter brought [a blow-up Jack Skellington] into class in October. She snuck it in, plugged it in, and it made this little buzzing sound as it inflated. I still…lectured through the whole thing. When the whole class was giggling I asked, ‘What are you giggling at? What’s so funny?’ Then I looked over and saw an inflatable Jack Skellington sitting in the chair. So I just laughed.”

During school, things can sometimes be gloomy and rainy, so when life gives you puddles, roll around in them! Liberty Cromar, a sophomore, learned this lesson one day after she had been dared to roll in the rain. “Someone dared me to [roll around in the rain] and I thought it would be fun. I actually did it twice, and did a rain angel getting thoroughly soaked. Right after, I went to seminary. I was very cold, and I was not dry till the end of the day.”

One especially unforgettable fun thing that happens every year, is the teachers dance. And this year we almost didn’t have one! This is what Mr. Beckwith, our principal, said about it. “I just do what they say. What normally happens is they come and tell me what they want for the teachers dance each year, and this year they wanted to have a little fun with it and say ‘it wasn’t on the program’. We never said it was canceled, we said it wasn’t on the ‘program’ the written program. [The teachers] always have so much fun each year with the teachers dance.”

It is always such a pleasure to watch the teachers dance, and realize they are normal people who love to dance and be goofy just like the students. But it isn’t just the teachers who are heroes in our lives, because we have Icey man! “Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Icey Man theme song!” for those who aren’t in .Smith’s math class Icey man is a wonderful hero that Mr. Smith has conjured up… but not everyone knows the great tale of Icey Man, here is what Mr. Smith has to say,“[Icey Man] came to be because I was teaching at school and it was an inside recess day, and the students were all very bored. We had been studying mummies and a girl brought in a National Geographic magazine that talked about a mummy they had found. It wasn’t really a mummy it was just frozen in the alps. It was the oldest preserved body. So because the kids were all bored, I made up a comic strip about how this person came back to life to save the world, and he just did silly things from then on.”

Icey Man saves the day!

Mr. Smith later took these comics to the Daily Herald where they printed them! What a hero, Icey Man! So many fun things can happen during the school year. When life gives you lemons make lemonade. Laughter is always the best medicine