Summertime and the Living is Easy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Summertime and the Living is Easy

Nettie Knudsen, Staff Writer

Summer is one of the best times of the year. Vacations, friends, and most of all, no school! For the students at AHS, summer is a time for adventure and new experiences. When asked what she did this summer, junior Karina Miner said, “I went to Alaska. We went in a sea plane and also halibut fishing, like big, giant thirty pound fish, that you lug up from the bottom of the ocean.” Sounds like fun!

Do international summer activities differ from the summer activities in America? Well, Abby Chen thinks so. Abby Chen is an international student from China and this is her first year at American Heritage School. A difference between summers in America and summers in China according to Abby are, “For a Chinese student, their summer would be filled with homework and extra classes after school and just catching up for the next year.” Abby also went on a vacation while she was in China, “So I went on a vacation and it’s a place in China and it’s really pretty. It has really clear water and the mountains are very green.” That’s so cool. We adore hearing about other places.

Many students love summer but teachers love summer, too. Mr. Swenson teaches all the choirs at American Heritage School and loves it. Aside from going to several states in the midwest for the 2019 choir tour he also said, “We did a trip to Lake Powell, that was fun. We helped my in-laws move, that was big but not so fun. And we got a new puppy dog and that was cool.”

Summer is a fantastic and relaxing time for all and – although we love summer – we are excited about this 2019-2020 school year. Go Patriots!