Helping Others Who Struggle

Back to Article
Back to Article

Helping Others Who Struggle

Tasia Carr, Staff Writer

Everyone knows what it feels like to struggle. What better motivation for us than to help others not feel how we have felt? Students around the world struggle with so many things: depression, anxiety, self-confidence, and so many others. Life is not meant to be easy, it is meant to help us grow and be strengthened. Students have a responsibility to help their loved ones and others through their hard times. When people feel loved they are able to overcome their challenges easier and faster.

Instead of listening, we may sometimes feel compelled to try to solve others’ problems. Truly listening to others’ problems can help them feel like they are not alone and that they can get through their struggles. Other times, people who are struggling choose to hide their hardships because they don’t want others to feel obligated to help out.

Small and simple acts of service help everyone feel important and can go a long way. It is always important in these circumstances to do small and simple things like, smile, ask how they are doing, and give them a hug. Patriots, there are people everywhere struggling with hard things. Do everything to make sure people don’t feel like they are not important. Be willing to reach out to everyone, You never knows who is struggling.

A student shared this experience “When I was younger, I had a lot of separation anxiety. I struggled to get out of bed and go to school every morning. I would get out of bed and cry and do anything to get out of going to school. My parents are both therapists, so they did not let me stay home from school. One day I was having a really hard time and I felt like giving up. I was crying in the halls of school when a teacher walked up to me and hugged me and said that she would always be there for me. Then she said ‘let’s take a little walk.’ We walked around the school campus and then found a quiet place to pray. After that, she walked me to class and I felt ok. I felt like I could make it through this hard time and that I was not alone.” Sometimes it is hard to step in and help, but when you do it will never be forgotten.