Burnout: A Student Epidemic

Back to Article
Back to Article

Burnout: A Student Epidemic

Portrait Of Student With Head Down On Stack Of Books

Andrey Popov - Fotolia

Andrey Popov - Fotolia

Andrey Popov - Fotolia

Eileen Chesworth, Staff Writer

We have all had those days. We start the day feeling refreshed and ready to roll, but at the end of the day we are falling asleep and worn down. This is called burnout. The days when we burnout are never good days.

How do we address this issue? First, we must make sure we are sleeping enough. Around 7 hours of sleep is recommended. When we sleep, we are gaining more strength and energy that can help us get through the day. Something to keep in mind is that we all sleep in cycles of about 90 minutes, (1-½ hours), so we can determine what time we want to wake up, and then measure out the sleep cycles and fall asleep in line with them. If we need to wake up at 5:00am, fall asleep at either 11:00pm, 9:30pm, or 8:00pm. If we need to wake up at 6:00 we should try to fall asleep at 9:00pm, 10:30pm, or 12:00am, and so on. This will ensure a nice and refreshing sleep.

Another way to prepare for the day is eating a good breakfast. Eating a lot of junk food in the morning may feel good at the time, but it won’t feel so good in an hour or two. Sugary foods don’t contain enough nutrients to help a person make it to lunch. Choosing food that is healthy and packed the nutrients we need to get through classes will help us out. Take into account the food pyramid to choose what foods to eat in correlation with lunch. Eating healthy will not only provide more energy, but will also help us feel better about ourselves.

Finally, remember that we shouldn’t be so hard on ourselves. We shouldn’t speed through a bunch of classes quickly, but rather think to pace ourselves. “For it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength,”(Mosiah 4:27). We should learn our strengths, but take into account our weaknesses. Maybe some of us may be good at history, but not as good at math. So, power through in history but save some of that energy for math. Find motivation in what we enjoy, so we can power through the more challenging moments.