Lessons Learned from Conference

President Russell M. Nelson (center) sits with fellow members of the First Presidency, President Oaks (left) and President Eyring (right) during the Saturday morning session of General Conference, October 5, 2019.

ChurchofJesusChrist.org

Ethan Morrill, Staff Writer

“Revelation continues in the Church… under the Lord’s direction,” said President Russell M. Nelson at the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on October 6, 2019. And consistent to that statement, the revelation has come through significant changes to the structure of the Church. These changes include the abolishment of young men’s presidencies, new restructuring of young women’s classes and a new young women theme, changes to temple recommend interview questions, and the announcement of construction of eight more temples, including one in Orem and one in Taylorsville, Utah. “I am grateful that the Lord is continually improving His policies for our improvement so that we can become more like Him,” Nathaniel Bischoff, a junior, says.

In addition to conference, other new historic changes have taken place. Now, women and all children who have been baptized can be witnesses for baptisms, as well as all youth who carry limited-use temple recommends being able to witness for proxy baptisms in the temple. Women who carry current temple recommends can also be witnesses for temple sealings. “I think this is a good change,” says senior Bailey Stone, “because I feel like a lot of women feel marginalized in the Church and that this is a step in the right direction for alleviating that pain.” Stone continues, “I also like how they changed the young women theme from saying Heavenly Father to Heavenly Parents.”

The prophets and apostles taught us a lot of important truths during General Conference. These truths include the reality of Satan and his deceptions, the power of faith and the Book of Mormon, and others. About the truths taught, senior Ellie Maughan says, “I think God is really having us focus on our individual testimony and conversion.”

General Conference can be an enlightening experience to those who witness it. Students seem to have learned a lot from this past General Conference. As Patriots, let’s work on applying these truths into our lives.