It’s a Wonderful Life at AHS

Ethan Morrill, News Editor

For the first time this school year, students will grace the stage as a heartwarming Christmas tale comes live to American Heritage School. It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play will be performed by members of our student body on November 14, 15, and 16, 2019.

The main difference between this play and others that the school has produced is the approach. As opposed to other plays, where students have played characters, in It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play, students play voice actors in a radio studio, complete with old-timey microphones, a sound effects table, and a live piano player.

“It’s interesting, because this play is different from any other play that I have participated in, and it’s much different than anyone has really seen, because it’s a radio play. It’s not your conventional play where we act as characters and move around on stage. We stay in place, hold our scripts, and act as actors who act as the characters. Like I’m playing Jake Laurents, who plays George Bailey,” says Jacob Burr, a senior at American Heritage School. “It’s a different dynamic, yet it’s really fun. When I auditioned, I was worried I wasn’t going to enjoy it, but I have fallen in love with the entire theme of the radio play. The set is amazing, it’s one of the best sets this school has put on in a while. The foley system with the mics and the sound effects and the live piano player puts it all together.” When asked what to expect from the play, Burr says, “A darn good time. There’s going to be drama, laughs, and jarring emotions, like pulling at the heartstrings. Also it’s just a heartwarming story. You should come see it.”

With soul-stirring tragedy, witty humor, and timeless messages, It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play is a play you won’t want to miss! Tickets cost $8 for adults and $5 for students, alumni, and senior citizens.