Christmas Traditions

Christmas+Traditions

Nettie Knudsen, Staff Writer

“Christmas time is here, happiness and cheer, fun for all that children call their favorite time of year.” These are lyrics from Vince Guaraldi Trio’s “Christmas Time is Here.” This song was featured in the beloved movie, “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” And how true it is. Christmas is a wonderful and magical time of year.
Not only do we get to worship our Savior, Jesus Christ, and His birth. But some families choose to celebrate Santa, and presents, and family. Traditions can be passed down from generation to generation, or they can be made up on the spot. Regardless, traditions are fun and memorable.
Sophomore, Catherine Howard said about her christmas tradition, “My family is Australian. So, when it’s Christmas day there, it’s Christmas Eve here, and we call or Facetime my aunt while her family is opening ‘prezzies’ on the beach.”
Gracie Nielson is also a sophomore and her favorite christmas traditions are, “My family does a bakeoff with all my cousins. One time my aunt grabbed a thing of flour but the lid wasn’t on all the way and she dropped it and it covered the entire kitchen!”
“Every year my family buys blankets and canned food,” said freshman, Tanner Sosa, “And we go around Salt Lake and give the blankets to homeless people and the food goes to homeless shelters. When all the supplies are gone we walk around Temple Square.”
Freshman, Hanna Lau says that her family “goes christmas caroling after we open presents and that’s fun. On Christmas Eve we act out the nativity scene.”
Rachel Fletcher is a freshman and she says, “On christmas eve, everyone comes to my house and we eat jumbo shrimp and tell stories. On Christmas day we wait at the top of the stairs and go down together and open our presents in age order.”
“My favorite thing about Christmas is not going to school and being with family,” said freshman, Logan Hunsaker.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good break.