Remembering Kobe Bryant

Max Wright, Staff Writer

Kobe was more than just a basketball player. He was a father, an oscar winner, and someone to look up to. He said, “What people see on court is another side of me; it’s not me”. Many students here at AHS looked up to Kobe. One of those students is Max Higgins. Max said, “He (Kobe) was one of the best basketball players of all time. He was one of the first NBA superstars to embrace both generations.” Kobe said, “The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do.” Kobe certainly lived up to that quote, he inspired many people to live their dreams. Current NBA player LeBron James sai,d “Kobe’s a brother to me. From the time I was in high school and watching him from afar to getting in this league at 18 watching him up close, all the battles we had throughout my career, the one thing that we always shared is that determination to just want to win and just want to be great, and the fact that I’m here now means so much to me.” Kobe is known for his “mamba mentality”, he said, “Can I jump over two or three guys like I used to? No. Am I as fast as I used to be? No, but I still have the fundamentals and smarts. That’s what enables me to still be a dominant player. As a kid growing up, I never skipped steps. I always worked on fundamentals because I know athleticism is fleeting.” Kobe also said, “I can’t relate to lazy people. We don’t speak the same language. I don’t understand you. I don’t want to understand you.” He was someone who would work on the same move in the gym again and again for an hour, just to get a little bit better. He worked hard and became one of the best people and players ever. Kobe’s advice to us? “Have a good time. Life is too short to get bogged down and be discouraged. You have to keep moving. You have to keep going. Put one foot in front of the other, smile and just keep on rolling.”