Why I Took A Break From Social Media

A Mormonad offers some funny, yet serious advice.

Chloe Morrill, Managing Editor

On June 3, 2018, President Nelson issued an invitation to all of the youth to join the Youth Battalion. “My first invitation to you today is to disengage from a constant reliance on social media by holding a seven-day fast from social media.”
Taking a break from social media can be scary. Some of us rely on it for information, to talk to friends, and to take a break from homework.
When the invitation was extended to take a seven day break from social media by the prophet, I did not hesitate to accept. I was on choir tour. My phone was at home. How hard could it be?
It turns out, despite not having my phone there, it was extremely hard. Even though the invitation was from the prophet, I still struggled not to use my mom’s or friends’ phones to play games during the long bus rides.
President Nelson said: “I acknowledge that there are positives about social media. But if you are paying more attention to feeds from social media than you are to the whisperings of the Spirit, then you are putting yourself at spiritual risk–as well as the risk of experiencing intense loneliness and depression.”
There are many studies about the benefits of fasting from social media. We look at the options of happiness, sleep, less stress, less comparison, self-control, and better interaction with others and we think to ourselves how amazing that must feel… but it just feels too hard, sometimes, to take a break from social media.
“Choose seven consecutive days,” President Nelson said, “and go for it! See if you notice any difference in how you feel and what you think, and even how you think, during those seven days. After seven days, notice if there are some things you want to stop doing and some things you now want to start doing.”
However hard it may seem, just take a break from social media, even if it’s for a day. Tell people about your decision so they can support you.
Senior and Student Body Vice-President Ellie Maughn said about her decision to take a break from social media, “It wasn’t super hard for me, I just had to find something better to do when I was bored. It taught me to spend my time with a ‘good, better, best’ mentality. I found out that I had been missing out on a lot of fun times with my little siblings. Turns out, my baby sister loves to pretend she is a dragon, and I guess I make a pretty good dragon catcher — it’s the little moments that make life good, and Instagram doesn’t deserve my attention when it comes to those moments.”
I add my own words to President Nelson’s words and to these students’ words. It is possible and it will help you. I was able to complete the challenge despite the temptations of friends’ and family’s phones on choir tour, and you can do it, too.