Finding Our Voice: AHS in the World

Tasia Carr, Staff Writer

It is easy to stand with the crowd. It takes courage to stand alone. In the 1950’s, a series of studies called the Asch’s Conformity Experiment were conducted. In this study, they tested how peer pressure could influence others to make a choice they knew was wrong. The study used lines and asked which line was the longest: A, B or C? They brought one person in who wasn’t in on the experiment and had them answer the question last. The people that were in on the experiment answered first and they all intentionally said the wrong answer. In the end, the test subject started to say the wrong answer – even though they knew it was not right.
In this day and age, it is sometimes difficult to stand up for what we know is right– especially in group settings. Even though it is challenging, it is important that we do so. When we are with a group of friends, and they are doing something we know is wrong, we fear that they will reject us if we stand up for what we believe in. It can be difficult to stand up for what we believe, but when we do, we will not regret it. Each time we stand up for ourselves, we gain confidence in finding our voice.
One of the greatest characteristics in a leader is standing up for what is right. As we graduate from high school and become more involved in this chaotic world, most of us will move into a position of leadership. We must have the courage to stand up and be different. We need to practice standing up now so that in the future it will be easier to resist the wrongdoings of our peers and gain more confidence in our own opinions.