Take It To The Trails: Mountain Biking

Burton Buer, Managing Editor

Living in Utah, we are blessed with quick access to beautiful mountain ranges that provide the opportunity for many exhilarating sports. Among these is mountain biking, a sport that has recently been gaining popularity. We interviewed 8th grader Max Buer, a passionate mountain biker himself, to get his insights into the sport.

When asked what he likes about mountain biking, Max stated that it’s, “the thrill and adventure…. going fast, and having a party.” Max claims that the thrill is comparable to that of snowboarding. 

There are several great places nearby to hit the trails. Max’s favorites are Valley Vista and Eagle Crest. Max told us,” Valley Vista is off the Murdock trail and then Eagle Crest is up in Alpine.” Valley Vista is easily within biking distance of the school and has an incredible trail system created so that everyone can ride. This is a great place to go, whether it’s your first time, or you’re a seasoned mountain biker.

Max gave us some advice on how to safely “have a party” when going down the mountain. “Keep your knees bent like when you’re going off jumps and bumps and stuff; and also always lean back.” And always remember to wear a helmet.

So, now that you’ve got a place to go and advice from a seasoned rider, it’s time to hit the trails! If you are brand new and looking for a good bike, Max says not to get a Walmart bike. A more expensive bike is worth it in the long run. If you’ve got the hang of mountain biking, but are looking for something more, consider joining a team at your local public middle or high school! Mountain biking is an exhilarating sport, so go out there and give it a shot!