Reading – Why Bother?

Sarah Joy Rowley, Staff Writer

Reading is a wonderful way to pass time and can be an escape for the mind. Books can take you places you can’t go in person. Dr. Seuss said, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

There are many benefits to reading. Primarily: Sleep. reading helps you sleep. It helps your mind wind down. If you ever find yourself unable to sleep try reading. Another benefit of reading is improved memory. Because a book has so many different elements that require you to remember throughout the book.

We reached out to a few students and asked them the question, “Why do you like reading?” Here were their answers:

Why do you like reading?

“I love reading, because it is the perfect way to travel anywhere, or see anything, even if they don’t exist in real life. You can learn about worlds, and concepts, that you  can personalize, and learn from. One of the best things about reading books, is that each person can learn something different, because they have different personalities and perspectives.”

~ Kyle Zufelt, 10th grade

“I like reading because it’s a nice break from homework or whatever is going on in my life. I love being drawn into a different world and feel like I am actually in the book! I especially love to read when it’s a cold day outside and when I can be inside and get all cozy!”

~ Kelsey Mclain, 10th grade

“I like books because it can be a way to experience something I would never normally be able to experience from the stress of living. It is also a way to be able to empathize and confront the human psyche.”  

~ Jack Reed, 10th grade

“I really like enhancing my imagination and I just love to read good books. Especially if it’s cold outside or if it is raining. I love to snuggle up with my dogs and a blanket by the fire and have some good food and drinks.” ~ Tyler Bree Jansen, 9th grade

For Reading: Why Bother?
Sarah Joy Rowley