Harvest v. Halloween

Eliza Fichialos, Associate Editor

Autumn is just around the corner, and with it comes the yearly debate: should we celebrate Halloween or harvest festivals?

According to History.com, “The tradition originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts.” Later, the holiday was designated as a day to celebrate all saints. Through the years, Halloween evolved into a celebration including trick or treating, carving pumpkins, and dressing up. 

Harvest festivals are celebrations of the yearly harvest in any given region. One of the first harvest festivals was called Lammas, meaning “Loaf Mass”. For this celebration, local farmers baked loaves of bread from their fresh wheat crop to give to the local church. The loaves were used as communion bread in a special service to thank God for the harvest. 

Leaves and the mountain, taken from the school parking lot. (Eliza Fichialos)

Sophomore Annika Southern says, “I like Halloween because: CANDY! If we got to dress up or wear a little accessory at school too that would be amazing.”

Cara Uhl, a Senior, had this to say: “I like Halloween because, well, candy! You get to hang out with your friends and go places, and have a good time scaring people and getting scared. But,” she adds, “I also like the thought of the harvest day as well because it’s a more uplifting and ‘light’ experience. I feel like Halloween can be sort of dark and spooky. Honestly, I appreciate both holidays.” 

“Both options get free food, but Halloween gives me the opportunity to wear a bunch of fantasy costumes I have at home. I just find Halloween more fun than the harvest. Halloween is way more well known, too.” commented Logan Brown, a sophomore. 

No matter where you stand on the Harvest vs. Halloween debate, everyone can agree that this season of colorful leaves, cozy sweaters, and pumpkin spice is one of the best times of the year. 

“Either way, I’m just glad that we get little candy pumpkins in the fall!” – Annika Southern