This Month in History: November

Lauren Hill, Associate Editor

While known by most people for Election Day and Thanksgiving, November is full of several historical events that should be remembered. While there are several more, here are a few modern events that have a big impact-

November 26, 1922 – King Tut’s tomb unearthed: After searching for Egyptian graves for thirty-one years, Howard Carter made one of the largest archaeological finds in Egyptian history. After lying dormant for more that 3,200 years, King Tut’s tomb was finally reintroduced to the world. While many other tombs of Egyptian pharaohs had already been targeted by tomb robbers, King Tut was so insignificant that his tomb was almost untouched when Carter found it. Therefore, King Tut’s tomb was able to offer insight into the vast world of Ancient Egypt like no other tomb before it.

November 22, 1963- John F. Kennedy was assassinated: It was noon in Dallas, Texas when Lee Harvey Oswald leveled his rifle at the nation’s 35th president. The bullets found their mark, tearing into the president’s head and neck. Kennedy managed to hold on to his life for over an hour, but he lost his battle with death. The whole assassination was captured on live television- making it the only assassination in the television age. Kennedy’s influential intervention in the Cuban Missile Crisis and his advocacy for the Civil Rights Movement only made his death more profound.

November 4, 1979- The beginning of the Iranian hostage crisis: In 1978, the last Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, was exiled from Iran after he was stripped of his throne. The people of Iran were enraged when they found out that the Shah was taking refuge in America. In response, several Iranian college students took control of the American embassy in Tehran, taking 66 Americans hostage. The crisis would go on to last 444 days.

Students storming the American Embassy in Tehran