Behind Their Office Doors: Administration

Lauren Hill, Associate Editor

Most of us students dread having to talk to one of our administrators. But do we ever stop to consider all that our administrators do for us?

Mrs. Adams, Elementary Assistant Principal, pointed out that one of our administrator’s main responsibilities is, “Helping teachers, students and parents find solutions to things that may seem unattainable, unreachable or impossible. We can always find solutions as we listen to each other and work together to “get to a yes.”

Though they may seem as cool as a cucumber, our administrators are constantly busy. Mrs. Adams commented, “Every day is different. I may have items on my calendar, but as the day progresses…a teacher may need another pair of hands, or a student may need guidance. Then there [are] general school items that come up each day.” Mrs. Acuna, Middle and High School Assistant Principal said, “Coming to work each day is like jumping on a treadmill that frequently gets pushed into a fast speed. When I get home in the evenings, I am tired emotionally, physically, and mentally. My job pushes me to give everything to the best of my ability each day.”

While we may assume that they go home when we do, our administrators work long hours. Mrs. Adams said, “Sometimes administrators feel as if we live at school. Administrators do not have set hours like teachers do. Administrators are on-call 24 hours a day. We also work throughout the summer and take off on average about one or two weeks in the summer.”

Our administrators have been working extra hard with the threat of Covid-19 this year. “Covid-19 has created more stress…than I have ever seen at any time I’ve been at American Heritage and I have been here for 10 years. I have spent many hours doing contact tracing, meeting with students and calling their parents and telling them that they have to quarantine. I also am constantly reminding students to wear masks. Sometimes that gets tiring!” Mrs. Acuna commented.

Although they are extremely busy, our administrators love what they do. “It gives me a sense of accomplishment to hope that in some small way I might have contributed to the amazing people they [students] are today,” reflected Mrs. Acuna. Mrs. Adams also remarked, “[this] is a special place to work and I love being enveloped by the Spirit and continue to grow and learn along the way.”

So, the next time you see one of administrators, be sure to thank them for all that they do and the time that they take for you and the entire student body.