Student Spotlight: Ryan Mitchell

Sarah Joy Rowley, Staff Writer

Ryan Mitchell is a new student at AHS. He just moved from Tillamook, Oregon with his younger brother and parents, so he could go to AHS and he’s glad he did. He has loved being here however, he said he does miss how green Oregon was. We asked Ryan some questions and it was really fun to get to know him more.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?

“I like reading and getting to know people, as many can probably tell I am a very social person.”

What is your favorite book?

The Alliance by Gerald N Lund is an amazing story.It is an amazing sci-fi novel with allegorical principles of agency. I highly recommend it.”

What is your favorite sport?

“I love competitive swimming.It is a team sport where your only competition is yourself. I find it more fun than other sports because I find it more invigorating  because you’re constantly moving and you’re in the water which is really fun.”

What do you want to be when you grow up and why? 

“I’ve wanted to be an attorney ever since I read To Kill a Mockingbird. I find Atticus Finch to be a good role model for not just aspiring lawyers but to everyone. He stands up for what is right, even if it’s against the popular opinion, and this is what makes him my hero.

If you could pick anywhere in the world where would you go?

“Anywhere in Europe! The culture and history are just awe-inspiring for me. So much of history has taken place on that continent that, in my opinion, would cause anyone to go and learn more about that history.  ”

What are your favorite places to visit in Oregon?

“I love the coast; all of the amazing beaches and coastlines make for a picturesque experience, even when it’s cloudy! (Which is almost every day) If you haven’t been to the Oregon Coast, it’s definitely worth a visit.  .”

Ryan’s favorite foods are lasagna, miso soup, sushi, lingua burritos, pizza, and clam chowder. 

His favorite desserts are Tillamook ice cream, carrot cake, and cheesecake with strawberries.

If Ryan had $1000 he would save half and donate the rest for kids to get scholarships to schools because he feels education is important. 

He was one of the winners of the October pictures and poetry contest. He had an amazing picture that he took while on a hike.

Ryan loves AHS and is really enjoying being in Utah. He is really kind and definitely worth getting to know.