Talking to Teachers: The Importance of Communication

Spencer Larsen, Staff Writer

Picture this, a student finally got home and now it’s 11 p.m. They have an essay due the next morning, and two tests will take place in the afternoon. There is no way they can finish the article and get enough sleep. What should they do? The answer should be obvious; talk with their teacher. However, for some, this may seem daunting.

“If you know you can’t get something in on time, just tell your teacher in class,” said Ms. Crossley, a high school English teacher, “We [teachers] want to help.” If a student is unable to tell the teacher about their late work in class, then they need to at least send them an email. When communicating with teachers through email, keep it formal. Teaching is their job, so your email should be somewhat professional. An informal email can be seen as disrespectful or entitled. In emails to teachers, students should also include their full name, their class period, and the reason they are turning in their work late. Also, be sure to address teachers with their titles (Mr./Mrs). Remember that the teachers are doing you a favor by accepting late work, so students should absolutely not make demands from their teachers.

Teachers don’t want to give students a bad grade, but they will have to if students can’t communicate with them effectively. Good communication between students and teachers is a key factor in the success of students.