Ruff Around the Edges, But We Luv ‘Em

Nancy Mellor, Staff Writer

Dogs are said to be man’s best friend, not cats. That could not be more true! And here at AHS, many students have the same opinion. Our furry canines run the show in our homes and in our hearts. 

Felines can offer you another option for a furry pet, but dogs are a step above. Cats tend to wander and take care of themselves. Whereas the faithful canine is more than happy to be in the company of their owners. “Whenever we leave the house she either grabs one of my moms or my socks to snuggle with,” sophomore Emma Young said about her dog, Rosie, “She thinks she’s all big and bad and barks at anyone who enters the house but once she smells you, she warms right up to you and wants pets. She also loves attention.” Cats may be a good pet with low maintenance, but dogs offer a powerful friendship that lasts.

Dogs also know what their owners are feeling and are great at cheering them up. “You can tell what he is feeling by the expressions on his face. He has very strong emotions and is very playful. He is always running around and it is hard for him to sit still. He is a very silly dog.” junior Alyssa Lamph said about her dog, WALL-E. Dogs are playful animals and want to share their joy with everyone around them. They just cannot keep their happiness contained, and as a result, everyone around feels uplifted. Cats come and go, but dogs will cross that gap and become the best friend anyone needs. 

Although people have their favorites, they all can agree that the love between human and animal is one of gold. 

Spot Light Section

Rosie is a sweetheart who acts a lot like her owner. She thinks she’s human…Whenever we leave the house she either grabs one of my moms or my socks to snuggle with. She thinks she’s all big and bad and barks at anyone who enters the house but once she smells you, she warms right up to you and wants pets. She also loves attention.

~Sophomore, Emma Young

You can tell what he is feeling by the expressions on his face. He has very strong emotions and is very playful. He is always running around and it is hard for him to sit still. He is a very silly dog. 

~Junior, Alyssa Lamph

This is Pali (short for Palomino)  she is a Rhodesian Ridgeback and she’s just about the prettiest dog I’ve ever met. Her breed comes from Africa and her ancestors often fought off preditors like lions. They are known to be fast sprinters, and are particularly known for the ridge on their back, which is hair growing in the opposite direction along the spine.

~Senior, Charity Ehlers

And then this is Olga (this picture sums her up pretty well) she’s a silver lab with a huge heart!! She loves attention and being pet so much that she will sit right in front of you and not leave your side till she has been thoroughly pet. She is a ball of energy. So much so that when she wags her tail…it looks like she’s doing a happy dance.

~Senior, Charity Ehlers

[This is Tiffany] Her name perfectly describes her—she’s kind of a prima doña—she won’t eat any veggies, will bark like crazy for chicken, and will (mostly) only let my mom take her on a walk. She also barks like a duck, purrs like a cat when we hold her, and snores like a big fat man. I just love the companionship dogs give! Even though Tiffany seems like a prima doña, she will still come curl up to me when I’m doing my homework into the wee hours in the morning and wait by the door when we leave. She’s so funny but great!

~ Senior, Emma Schmidt

If we missed your awesome pet, cat or dog, include it in the comments section below.