Just Do It! Interacting With Your Teachers

November 3, 2022

An essential part of navigating middle and high school includes interacting with our teachers.

How to Talk to Teachers

Students can always find a range of obstacles that prevent them from speaking to their teachers. Maybe it is fear that their teacher does not like them. Maybe they are doing poorly in class. Maybe the teacher is intimidating or strict.

Mr. DeBirk teaches physics here at American Heritage, along with some creative classes. He recognizes that it is sometimes difficult for students to approach teachers. DeBirk commented, “It is always intimidating to talk to somebody out of your age group, especially older, and highschool is a time when you are not always too sure of yourself, so that is part of the difficulty.” DeBirk makes an effort to speak to his students in a way that makes them feel comfortable. He said, “You have to talk to the students as if they are an equal and as if you believe in them.”

Sophomore Charlie Allred agrees with DeBirk. He thinks that it is easier to reach out to teachers if they are welcoming and pleasant. Allred said, “[Teachers] have…seemed very nice and approachable which [makes it easier] to talk to them.” 

Another thing that makes it easier to address teachers is to show them appreciation and politeness. We get what we put in. Julianne Sessions, senior, stated, “I’ve gotten along with [teachers] really well… I’ve always respected the teachers, and they give me the same respect.” 

Communicating with our teachers may be challenging. It may take a lot of courage and vulnerability. Certain conversations may need to be planned or thought out, but the key to speaking to teachers is remembering that they are people too. Do not approach them with an attitude of disrespect or judgment. Do not approach them with a sense of entitlement or complaining. Be honest, reasonable, and patient, and you are likely to receive the same in return. 

A common thread in these comments is that both teachers and students alike deserve respect and acknowledgement. Communication is crucial to resolving problems and building relationships.  Even though we may be hesitant to ask questions, our teachers always want to talk to us.