The Woman Behind “The Music Man”

MORE+ENERGYYYY%21
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Woman Behind “The Music Man”

MORE ENERGYYYY!

MORE ENERGYYYY!

Nancy Morrill

MORE ENERGYYYY!

Nancy Morrill

Nancy Morrill

MORE ENERGYYYY!

Chloe Morrill, News Editor

“‘There is no way we’re going to be able to pull this off.’” Thirteen words you do not want to hear, especially when coming from Mrs. Perry.
“I originally didn’t want to do Music Man, but a couple of girls talked me into it,” Mrs. Perry said. “And then this summer when I went to see The Music Man at the Hale, I broke out in a cold sweat four times thinking ‘Oh my gosh, what have I gotten myself into? There is no way we’re going to be able to pull this off.’ But lots of miracles happen at this school, and [performing this is] one of them.”

Mr. Swenson left his script… now he has to do something embarrassing!

Mrs. Perry is certainly qualified in her opinion. She’s been in thousands of performances and directed American Heritage’s drama productions for almost as long as she’s been teaching here.
“I was brought here to teach genealogy to seventh graders back in 2006 and when they decided to expand to include high school, …they asked me to teach a drama class. So I started that once a week, and the next year we did another class once a week, and then it just blossomed from there,” Mrs. Perry said. “My favorite part about my job… is getting to know the students and having more people to love than I could possibly have imagined. It’s also exciting to see the students be so in awe of what they’re able to produce.”

Mrs. Perry telling the cast of The Music Man to give more energy

Mrs. Perry has starred in her husband’s musical, “Polly: A One Woman Musical” since 1992. She’s been singing with One Clear Voice for many years as well. Despite these and many other accomplishments, Mrs. Perry has decided that she is most proud of something else.

Mrs. Perry giving Notes

“I’m most proud of the quality of the shows we do here. Often people come to this school and think it will be a lower standard because our school’s so small and the students to choose from is such a small base. Everyone that’s ever come to a show has gone away blown away at what we’ve been able to accomplish with all of our productions.”
Mrs. Perry has truly done an amazing job with this year’s Fall musical!